Posted on Friday, September 22nd, 2023 at 9:18 pm
Being charged with Operating a Vehicle Impaired (OVI/DUI) in Cincinnati is an anxiety-inducing experience. The powerful court system arrayed against you can seem daunting, and the potential ramifications – ranging from fines to jail time to long-term reputational harm – may leave you feeling overwhelmed. The good news is that you don’t have to face these challenges alone. How can a lawyer help with a DUI/OVI? They offer legal representation, deep knowledge of local rules, customized defense strategies, and diligently protect your rights. A skilled Cincinnati OVI/DUI lawyer offers crucial help, potentially lessening or dismissing charges against you.
The role of an OVI/DUI attorney is multifaceted. Practically speaking, they know how and when to question evidence, challenge the prosecution’s case, and negotiate on your behalf. Equally, they offer vital legal expertise and guidance, aiding informed decisions and supporting you during tough times. How can a lawyer help with a DUI/OVI beyond the courtroom? By offering emotional support, ensuring proper paperwork handling, and continuously updating clients about case developments.
But how exactly do they accomplish this? In this blog post, the attorneys with Moermond & Mulligan, LLC take a comprehensive look at the ways an experienced Cincinnati OVI/DUI lawyer can help reduce or dismiss your charges, providing you with a clearer understanding of the legal process and increasing your chances of a favorable outcome.
Possible Defenses to OVI/DUI
An OVI/DUI attorney’s goal is to examine the evidence, finding errors or inconsistencies to weaken the case against their client. Depending on the circumstances, they might argue:
- Improper Traffic Stop: For a traffic stop to be valid, the police officer must have a reasonable suspicion that the driver is intoxicated or has committed some other violation. If the defense can prove that the traffic stop was arbitrary or unjustified, it may lead to the dismissal of the case.
- Inaccuracy of Field Sobriety Tests: Field sobriety tests are not always a reliable indicator of impairment. Factors like nervousness, medical conditions, or uneven road surfaces can affect performance. These mitigating factors could undermine the reliability of the test and its results.
- Inaccuracy of Breathalyzer Test: Breathalyzer devices must be regularly maintained and recalibrated. If the machine in question had not been functioning as it should have, its readings might not have been accurate.
- Chain of Custody Issues: Any mistakes in the handling, storing, and logging of blood and urine samples could make them inadmissible as evidence. For example, the Cincinnati OVI defense firm of Moermond & Mulligan, LLC secured a case dismissal for a client facing OVI charges by arguing on the day of trial that the State had destroyed critical evidence.
- Violation of Rights: Any violation of a defendant’s constitutional rights, such as not reading them their Miranda rights or not having probable cause for arrest, could potentially lead to a dismissal of charges.
Each OVI/DUI case is distinct; defenses depend on your history, stop details, and evidence against you. How can a lawyer help with a DUI/OVI? An experienced OVI/DUI lawyer in Cincinnati can review your specific case, identify possible defenses, and represent you effectively in court.
The Role of an OVI/DUI Lawyer in Building Your Defense and Pursuing a Favorable Outcome
An OVI/DUI lawyer in Cincinnati is a critical ally during this difficult time and can help you by:
- Exploring Defense Options: After a thorough case review, your attorney will lay out your legal options. This could mean seeking a plea, contesting the charge, or pursuing dismissal if prosecution issues arise.. They’ll review options with you, advising on the best action considering your situation and potential legal consequences.
- Negotiating Plea Deals: If the evidence against you is substantial, your attorney might advise you to consider a plea deal, where you plead guilty to a lesser charge in exchange for the prosecution dropping the more serious ones. Plea negotiation is one of the most critical services a good defense attorney offers. Pleading to a lesser charge can reduce penalties, such as fines, jail duration, or license suspension length.
- Representing You in Court: If your case goes to trial, your attorney will prepare a solid defense strategy and represent you in court. They will cross-examine prosecution witnesses, present evidence supporting your side of events, and strive to create reasonable doubt in the minds of the jury. This requires a deep understanding of OVI/DUI law, trial procedures, and effective courtroom strategies.
Facing OVI/DUI Charges in Cincinnati? Contact Moermond & Mulligan, LLC Today
Are you facing OVI/DUI charges? Then you know the consequences of a conviction are serious – and that you need a serious defense firm to help you fight back against them. Contact Moermond & Mulligan, LLC at (513) 421-9790 and find out what an OVI/DUI defense lawyer in Cincinnati can do for you.