If arrested for DUI, OVI, or DWI in Cincinnati, you need an experienced lawyer to protect your rights. At Moermond & Mulligan, LLC, our dedicated team of OVI/DUI defense lawyers has the knowledge and skill necessary to aggressively defend your case and minimize the potential consequences of a conviction.
Understanding DUI / DWI / OVI Charges in Cincinnati
In Ohio, people often call driving under the influence “operating a vehicle under the influence (OVI)”. People also commonly refer to it as “driving under the influence (DUI)”. A DUI charge, regardless of terminology, demands urgent attention from a skilled criminal defense lawyer.
Ohio law establishes a legal limit for blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08 percent. If they catch you driving with a BAC above this limit, they could charge you with OVI. However, even with a BAC under .08%, erratic driving can still lead to an OVI charge.
If you’re pulled over on suspicion of OVI, the police officer may ask you to perform field sobriety tests. Examples of field sobriety tests include walking in a straight line or standing on one leg. The officers can also ask you to take a breathalyzer test, which measures your BAC. It’s important to note that you have the right to refuse field sobriety tests and breathalyzer tests. However, refusing a breathalyzer can suspend your license for a year, regardless of OVI conviction.
If you’re charged with OVI in Cincinnati, the consequences can be severe. That’s why it’s crucial to have a skilled OVI/DUI defense lawyer on your side. With an experienced attorney, you can challenge evidence and seek the best case outcome. Your lawyer can investigate your arrest, challenge tests, and negotiate for reduced charges.
In addition to challenging the evidence against you, your lawyer can use defenses against your OVI charges. For example, Your lawyer might challenge the traffic stop, sobriety tests, or breathalyzer accuracy. Your OVI/DUI defense lawyer could negotiate a plea deal or potentially dismiss charges.
Penalties for OVI/DUI
If Cincinnati convicts you of OVI, you could face various penalties. These can include fines, jail time, and license suspension. Penalty severity varies based on BAC level, prior convictions, and if an accident occurred while impaired.
Here are some of the potential penalties you could face if convicted of OVI in Cincinnati:
- Fines: First-time OVI offenders can face fines of up to $1,075, while repeat offenders can face fines of up to $10,500. Additionally, you might have to pay court costs and other fees related to your case.
- Jail Time: Depending on the circumstances of your case, you could face anywhere from three days to six months in jail for a first-time OVI offense. Repeat offenders can face up to one year in jail.
- License Suspension: OVI convictions can result in license suspension ranging from six months to three years for a first offense and up to 10 years for repeat offenses. You may also be required to have an ignition interlock device installed on your vehicle.
- Probation: You may be placed on probation following an OVI conviction. Probation can include requirements such as attending alcohol treatment programs, submitting to random drug and alcohol tests, and avoiding further criminal activity.
- Community Service: You may be required to perform community service as part of your sentence for OVI.
- Other Penalties: Depending on the circumstances of your case, you could also face other penalties, such as mandatory vehicle immobilization or impoundment, mandatory drug and alcohol treatment, or the requirement to attend victim impact panels.
In addition to these legal penalties, an OVI/DUI conviction can also have a lasting impact on your personal and professional life. For example, you may have difficulty obtaining employment or housing, and your insurance rates may increase significantly.
That’s why it’s so important to take OVI/DUI charges seriously and to seek the help of an experienced OVI/DUI defense lawyer as soon as possible. With the right legal representation, you may be able to challenge the evidence against you, negotiate a plea deal, or even have your charges dismissed altogether.
Why Choose Moermond & Mulligan, LLC for Your OVI Defense?
At Moermond & Mulligan, LLC, we understand the serious nature of OVI charges in Cincinnati. That’s why we work diligently to protect our clients’ rights, regardless of case complexity.
Our OVI defense lawyers have a deep understanding of Ohio’s OVI laws, as well as the strategies and tactics that are most effective in defending these types of cases. We will carefully review all of the evidence against you, including police reports, breathalyzer results, and other key information, to identify potential weaknesses in the prosecution’s case.
From there, we will work with you to develop a strong defense strategy that is tailored to your unique circumstances. We’ll fight for your rights, whether negotiating, suppressing evidence, or going to trial.
Contact Moermond & Mulligan, LLC for a Free Consultation
If you’re facing OVI/DUI charges in Cincinnati, don’t wait to get the legal help you need. Contact Moermond & Mulligan, LLC today to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced traffic offense lawyers.
During your consultation, we’ll review the details of your case and provide you with an honest assessment of your legal options. We’ll also explain our approach to defending OVI cases, answer any questions you may have, and provide you with the guidance and support you need to make informed decisions about your future.
Don’t face OVI charges in Cincinnati alone. Contact Moermond & Mulligan, LLC today to get the help you need to protect your rights and future.